Mar 31, 2011

Winter

SO I started writing this long post about winter and how it correlates to this season of rest my husband and I are in but I realized I was making what I wanted to say much more complicated than it is.

Here are some words that come to mind in most peoples minds when you say winter:

Cold Quiet Rest Loneliness Bareness Nakedness Crisp air Dark

Snow Dreary Death Hopelessness

All of these words are so ... sad. As I was looking at how to write this out I realized that what I wanted to share has nothing to do with these words. A friend of mine once told me she LOVED winter. Honestly I thought she was nuts up until this past weekend. I could never understand why she loved the season. It's all of the above words...right?!

WRONG! During the winter season the earth rests. Everything seems to slow down, specially when snow blankets the ground. You can see through the trees and see what the leaves and bushes have hidden through out the rest of the year. In that you can see all kinds of things; a creek winding down the hill side, a small red cardinal sitting on the branch of a tree, or an old abandoned barn. This past weekend on my drive to and from church I was praying and asking God to show me something I haven't seen before, something about this season we are in and that is when I saw a small cardinal perched on a branch. I would have never seen it had it been the summer or any other season but winter.

That's when I realized, winter is more than those dreadful words, so much more! You see winter also means rest, peace, hope just to name a few. It's a time when the earth rests and prepares for spring. Spring is seen as a time of growth, renewal, of new life being born. Without winter spring can not happen.

God showed me that I must not rush this season of rest that we are in. That I need to see the beauty in this season because He is behind the scenes preparing us for spring. I believe our season of rest will come to an end soon and that our season of renewal and new birth is around the bend. Until the first buds of spring come forth in our lives I shall rest, sit back and watch how God's hands brings for the new ministry He has for us to do!

No comments: