May 19, 2009

God and the fishing line.

Ok so yes that's a strange title, I'll admit it! But there's a reason for the title. You see last week when our area was hit by a storm that took out our power for over 5.5 days I took the kids fishing daily. Sometimes for more than 3 hours at a time. Which I have to say for our kids to stay focused on one activity for that long is a miracle. Even today the kids asked if I would take them fishing when they get home from school.

Anyways during our fishing trips God has been showing me some things. When I started writing this today I thought it might just be a short little post but I have realized that what I am learning and God is showing me is a lot more than I thought. So this may be a series, not sure how long it will go but I will let you know if it's over. Just keep coming back and checking.

So how does fishing line apply to our lives? Have you ever wondered why it's important to have some kind of weight on your line? Ever casted your line with no weight? What happened? Ever reeled in you line and got so anxious that you jerk the line? What happened? Have you ever caught a fish without using any bait? Do you celebrate even when you catch something small or nothing at all? Have you ever gone fishing unprepared? These are just a few things I will discuss in the next few posts. I hope this series will encourage you in your walk with the Lord. Make sure to leave me a comment and let me know what you think! (please)

So Let me share a bit here before I go any further. A few of these things happened to my kids last week, such as casting with out an anchor (weight). I sat back on the first day I took the kids out and watched Jaron repeatedly cast his line and it plop down in front of him. He was extremely frustrated and almost quit. It was his first time fishing and he had it in his head that he knew what he needed to do. No granted I am not a fisherman. I have only fished when I was his age with my brothers and the kids in the neighborhood. But I knew what part of the problem was. When he could take no more he threw the pole down and said, "I quit!" I asked him if he needed some help and he was so angry he wouldn't listen to me. So I took over. I added a small weight and a bobber replaced the bait (worms-so fun!) and casted the line. When he saw his line fly through the air yards away he was amazed. He asked me what the difference was and I smiled at him and said, "I added the anchor and it helped the line fly!" Had Jaron just completely quit that day he would never have caught the fish he did on that cast.

We are just like that line you know! When we try to do anything in our lives without an anchor in more instances than we realize, we plop! We need an anchor that will help us fly! That anchor is Jesus! We don't plop when we trust in Him and seek His will in all things! Sure things don't always go our way. There were many times Jaron cased out his line to reel in an empty hook but that's just how things happen sometimes. Does this mean God isn't there or that He causes things to happen....NO! There are times when it may seem that way but seriously, is your focus on giving God the glory in all things or is your focus more on you and how He can serve you?

Our Heavenly Father is not a waiter to serve us! In fact we were created to have fellowship with Him and if we are seeking that fellowship, serving HIM will come from the love we have for Him without conditions! So many times I have heard people (including myself here) say, "If God will do this I will do that!" It's bargaining with God and God DOESN'T bargain! There is no instance in the Bible that says He will bargain with you for YOU to get your will. Our purpose is to serve HIM and if we get blessed while doing so great! But if not even more so I will serve Him.

Today are you anchored in the Lord? Are you trying to cast your line in life without an anchor that will help you soar? Why not cast your cares on Him! The one true anchor that will never leave you or forsake you!

Lord in my life I pray I will stay anchored to you and no matter what comes my way I know that You alone will help me succeed in all I set out to do if it will bring YOU glory!

** come back tomorrow to read the next insert in this Fishing line series!

No comments: